Monday, April 8, 2013

Monday Recipe "Let's Talk Biscuits"


Well, Butter My Butt and Call Me a Biscuit!


The  Lowly Biscuits was not a pebble in my heel it was a boulder on my chest ..I married a southern man who loves his biscuits more than gravy and the first biscuits I ever made were not even edible (hockey pucks that's what they were if we had ice we could of played a round) how can such an easy thing like biscuits kick this girl in the hiney so hard ..now I had a lot of living up to do I had tasted Ox's Granny's biscuits and to this day there is no comparing she had somethings special in those biscuits that I haven't even come close to and no other biscuit has either but I have taught myself a thing or two about these golden round pieces of goodness and out of everything it was finding the right recipe for me ... the only recipe I have stuck with for 5 years (remember I've been married 17 so that's 12 years of biscuits chaos)  now is from Southern Living Cookbook from 2007

Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits

3 1/2 cups self rising flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter chilled and cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

1/2 to 1 cup flour for rolling out the biscuits
1 Tbsp butter melted to brush on biscuit tops

mix, roll, brush, bake
Key points dry ingredients mixed together first... than butter and shortening cut in till crumbs, follow with the buttermilk DO NOT OVER MIX BATTER
bake at 500F for 9 to 11

I usually put the bacon or sausage in the oven on a cookie sheet well the oven is warming up when the oven reaches 500 the bacon or sausage is usually done than I pop the biscuits in



Baking is big in the South—whether it’s a biscuit or a roll, we love something in our hand to put some butter on, or to sop up pot liquor. - Paula Deen

No comments:

Post a Comment