Monday, March 11, 2013

Monday Recipes ...Granny's Chocolate Pie



photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkaway/475923677/
 
This recipe is near and dear to our hearts my Ox loved his Granny's cooking she was a down home southern cookin lady and nothing came out of her kitchen that wasn't the epitome of the south.. Now I had never heard of chocolate pie?? chocolate silk pie, yes, but my Ox said," You haven't had nothing like Granny's Chocolate Pie its the best thing you'll ever taste," and he was gall darn right I was smitten my first bite..I could eat the whole pie if my family would let me, but they always say I have to share,( I always have the sneaky notion to say Why I made it) I always make two though because between the 5 of us just one pie will not do and most of the time two doesn't suffice... This Chocolate Pie is on the table at every family gathering in this house first in foremost to celebrate Granny's Memory ... but have to say for everyone eating it, its the joy of devouring this delicious pie

Granny's Chocolate Pie

1 1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
4 Tbsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups Half and Half
3 egg yolks

-Have one prepared pie crust ready *** remember homemade is always best, take the extra time you will be a lot happier :)**
-add every things except yolks to a high sided sauce pan
-(please have whisk in hand stirring this mixture at all times it might be a good pie but a tasking pie to make)
-cook over medium heat until thick
-(this will take a while)
-remove from heat and temper in those egg yolks remember to temper you don't want chocolate scrambled eggs
-return pan to burner over medium heat return mixture to boil for one minute
-remove from heat
+++mix in 1 Tbsp. of butter and 1 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract to chocolate
-and pour into pie crust
-best to chill over night but at least 3 hours
those three extra egg whites can be turned into meringue and baked on top... my family does not like meringue so I don't make it ....also cool whip is an alternative topping...  my family is easy they just want the chocolate all of it

No comments:

Post a Comment